Friday, April 20, 2007

A day in the life

I often get asked what I do all day. Some days are very slow and I have to find tasks to keep myself busy (there's always stuff to do, but some stuff is much more interesting than others!). Other days are so busy they make my head spin. Today has been a somewhat typical day, so I thought I would use it as an example.

  • Got in around 8:00 (it's always "around" 8:00 because I am the beck and call of our shuttles from my parking garage)
  • Helped a research fellow obtain some images for her presentation she's doing
  • Helped obtain another article for another staff member (who was very pleased that I could get the PDF)
  • Sent a couple of articles that had come in from interlibrary loan
  • Helped a staff member find some articles for a research paper she's doing for class
  • Had a request from a faculty member to help track down some information on a particular radiologist she has been asked to do a presentation with (Ever Googled your date? Yeah, this was along the same lines - pretty funny!)
  • Helped a staff member locate some specific articles she was having a hard time finding
  • Photocopied an article in the main library and scanned the article so I could e-mail it to another staff member. This would typically be handled via interlibrary loan, but she needed the article sooner than we could get it through ILL. I've helped get several articles for this staff member over the past few days, and she was gushing with praise. :-)
  • Obtained an article for another staff member
  • Helped a faculty member find a book he was looking for
  • Traded out one volume of a set for the correct one, which I had mistakenly given a staff member earlier in the week
I also had a nice lunch and a short coffee break with a friend. Now it's the end of the day, and I'm ready for the weekend!

No comments: